Monday, June 30, 2014

Spartan Beast Training Plan

It's official: Beast training starts today! Those of you who read my post from Saturday know that I was debating doing another half marathon (likely Newburyport) this fall or the Spartan Beast, a 10 - 13 mile obstacle course race. While I haven't signed up for for anything, I am leaning strongly towards the Beast. So much so that I decided it was time to sort out a training plan. 

A quick search of the Internet seemed to indicate that there aren't really any training plans out there, so I decided to make one of my own. I haven't done a Spartan Beast before, but I have participated in a number of other obstacle course races. I've taken my experiences from those races and information about the Spartan Beast from friends and put together a training plan. (Click to make bigger.)

Spartan Beast Training Plan



Notes:
  • Circuit weight and body weight exercises: I recommend working all the major muscle groups and doing body weight activities when possible. Feel free to make up your own routine. I like to mix it up regularly. One of my favorite circuits goes like this. Repeat the entire circuit three times.
    • Run 5 minutes
    • 25 push-ups
    • 8 - 12 lat rows with heavy weight
    • 1 minute of weighted squats
    • 8 - 12 weighted side crunches (both sides)
    • 8 - 12 shoulder presses with heavy weights
    • 8 - 12 bicep curls with heavy weights
    • 1 minute of triceps dips
    • 30 burpees
    • 5 pull-ups
  • 40 minutes aerobics: Do an aerobic exercise of your choice. I do a traditional floor aerobics class for these days of the week. You could also do some work on a bike, in the pool, or on the elliptical. Try to keep it semi-low impact on these days to give your muscles a rest from the pounding of running.
  • 40 minutes weight class: I take a class this day. We do low weights with lots of reps. You can try doing something similar or do the circuit.
  • P90X3: The Challenge: Don't own P90X3? No worries. The Challenge is a 30 minute workout of push-ups and pull-ups. Read the moves list on my blog here, and do the workout without the DVD.
  • Shale Hill: I'm lucky enough to get to do a training weekend at this obstacle course training facility, so I've added it to the calendar. If you can't do something this exciting, I have included alternative exercises. 
  • Rest: You can also use these days for light stretching and mobility exercises. I like P90X3: Dynamix or Focus T25: Stretch.
Questions about the training plan? Leave a comment, and I'll post back.

We'll see how successful the plan is if (or when!) I do the Beast, which is scheduled for September 21. I know that I'll have to do more research about what to bring as the date gets closer. My understanding is that for mere mortals the race can take around 8 - 10 hours, so bringing proper fuel and hydration is key. More on that later if I end up committing to the race. For now, it's day one of training, and I'm off for a run!

No comments: