Friday, December 20, 2013

Running Streak: Week Three

It's Friday and week three of the running streak is basically over. To be honest, this has gone rather uneventfully and has few exciting or harrowing stories. From my perspective this is rather a good thing, but it does not necessarily make for the most thrilling blog post.

Here's how the week went down.

Monday: Three miles on the treadmill at the Smith gym. Three miles in thirty minutes. 100% basic. My calf still felt a little bit tight from the previous days runs but was manageable.

Tuesday: Three and a half miles on the treadmill at the Smith gym. It took 34:52. Again, 100% basic.

Wednesday: I did 20 minutes of resistance training and then hoped on the treadmill for a two mile run. It took 19:57. Again, basic.

Thursday: Okay. Here things get a little exciting because I wasn't able to make it to the gym and didn't get to exercise until the very late afternoon. I got home around 4:30 p.m. and decided that before I went out for a run, I wanted to do another form of exercise to warm up. I did a T25 workout (Core Speed).

Warming up was a good move, but I think I warmed up too much because I got sweaty. When I headed out for my run, the sun was completely down -- it was 5:00 p.m. Immediately the sweat began to cool on my person making me quite a bit chilly.

The temperature was just below freezing and the roads and sidewalks were snowy from the half a foot of snow we got earlier in the week. Yuk! I poked my way along slowly trying not to slip and feeling chilled. I cranked out one mile and headed back to the warmth of the house.

Runs in the dark = lame!

Friday: Another trip to the Smith gym. I should mention the Smith fitness center is one of my favorite places on earth. I mean look at it!


And here's a strange fishbowl style picture of the inside. (All of these pictures are from the Smith website.)


I go to the Smith gym practically every weekday. They have a great selection of cardio and strength equipment. Today, I availed myself of one of their many treadmills and ran four miles for the streak. The run was okay. I had to stop twice and stretch my calf, but otherwise it was a basic run without incident. 

I am rather pleased at how my body is holding up to the running streak. I am making sure to use the foam roller liberally on my calf and hip, and and I think this is making a difference. 

As of today, I have run 23 days in a row. My streak is scheduled to end on January 1, so this means I have only 10 more runs until then. I am over two-thirds of the way there!

No comments: