Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tough Mudder Prep

I've spent the day today preparing myself for tomorrow's Tough Mudder at Mount Snow in Vermont. I've been preparing myself in three key ways: resting, eating right, and getting my gear in order.
This week, I've been tapering for Sunday's race, so overall I've been doing slightly less (and less intense) exercise. For today, I limited myself to some stretching and foam rolling for thirty minutes as well as a relaxed forty minute two mile walk. In general, I've been trying to kick my feet up and rest up for tomorrow.
I've also been focusing on trying to get some good food into my system over the past couple of days and today in particular. Here's what I've been eating:
Breakfast: Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Whole Grain Cereal. I am obsessed with this stuff (and also the Ezekiel bread). Ezekiel cereal has 7 grams of protein and is also high in fiber. The ingredient list on this cereal is amazing -- it's pretty much all just sprouted grains.
Lunch: Salad of mixed greens and spinach with fresh berries, tomatoes, avocado, and goal cheese. I also had a few crackers just because I really love them.
Snack: Larabar. Delicious and basically just nuts and dates.
Dinner: Chicken breast with steamed squash and maybe some other bonus vegetable. Dinner hasn't happened yet, but that's the plan.
I've also been drinking loads and loads of water to make sure I stay hydrated tomorrow. I don't have a CamelBak, so I won't be able to bring my own hydration on the course. I think that's okay. The 10 mile course has seven water stops and the high tomorrow is only 71 degrees for where we'll be in Vermont.
I also took some time this morning to organize and pack my gear.

Here's what I'm bringing:
For the race:
  • No cotton!
  • Tech tank top and sports bra (an old one)
  • Mini compression shorts
  • Dri-fit socks
  • Old sneakers (In this case, my New Balance Minimus sneakers that I used at the color run we did. I took a hammer and nail and put holes in the soles, which I hope will help with drainage tomorrow.)

For after the race:
  • Towel
  • Change of pants and t-shirt
  • Dry socks (for the car ride home)
  • Flip flops

For eating:
(Note: Tough Mudder in lame and doesn't let you bring your own food or beverage into the event, so I kept this limited.)
  • Larabars (One to eat in the car right before the event and one to eat in the car after.)
  • Vega Sport recovery drink (I couldn't find the GU Recovery Brew that I had a sample of and liked, so I'll be checking this out for after the race.)
  • GU energy gels for during the race (I'll stop and eat them at the water stations.)


Et cetera:
  • Warm-up jacket for before the race and in case I'm cold afterwards
  • Sunscreen
  • Anti-chafe Body Glide
Based on past experience, I think that should be everything I need. Wish me luck for tomorrow -- my bags are packed, and I'm ready to go!


No comments: