Sunday, March 24, 2013

Superhero Scramble

It's official: I've found a new obstacle course race (OCR) to replace the Tough Mudder -- the Superhero Scramble. The event is a four mile course which looks to feature a ton of fun obstacles such as:
- Climbing a wall with ropes
- Crawling through mud under wire
- Jumping into water from a pier
- Scaling cargo nets
- Slidding down a slime-covered slide
- Climbing a rock wall (like bouldering)
- Transversing an expanse of water on a plank
- Leaping over fire
-Navigating piles of tires
The attitude of the race seems a bit more fun and fancy free than the super tough attitude of Tough Mudder (no electric shocks included) and should be a huge blast! The website says the course should take around ninty minutes.
How did I pick this event? Easy; there was a deal for $33 for the 9:30 a.m. wave of the race on LivingSocial. For $33 (plus a $9 fee with registration) I was able to sign-up. That's super cheap, especially compared with the $140 for Tough Mudder.
Also, at four miles, it won't require the intensive training that a Tough Mudder would. I should be able to be successful with doing some running along with the strength, bootcamp, and sports style training I'll be doing when I start P90X. This will be great because I can jump into the P90X program right when I'm done with Les Mills Combat and still feel like I'll be ready for the OCR. I'll probably do P90X evening after work and do some running around 3 days a week at the gym.
The Superhero Scramble is going to take place on Saturday, June 8 and is in Amesbury, Massachusetts, about a two hour ride out East from Amherst. I got Seth a $15 event pass (all these OCRs charge to bring guests, usually between $15 and $30). There will be food and live music for him to enjoy as he watches me take part in the race (and takes lots of pictures). It should be fun all around -- I can't wait!
To celebrate finding and registering for this new event, I made yet another drink from my book Green Tea, the South-of-the-Border Watermelon Iced Green Tea. I think it's my new favorite (tied with the pear and watermelon green tea smoothie).
The South-of-the-Border tea features watermelon, cinnamon, brown sugar, and cream soda. When you first sip you taste the cream soda, then the watermelon, and finally the cinnamon. It's sweet and spicy.
I've already made it twice, once for my mother and once for Seth. This would be an extra pleasing summer beverage. I definitely plan to make it again.

No comments: