Tuesday, April 10, 2012

We Live in Exciting Times

It's been a little while since I've written. The first bit of exciting news is that I finished the Asylum workout last Tuesday. I took the final fit test and was very happy with how I was able to do more reps of all the exercises with more precision. I definitely feel the fittest I've ever been. I went ahead and recorded my results and sent before and after pictures to Beachbody who sent me the Asylum t-shirt. Here I am in a sub-standard picture wearing it with my pajamas. 


Now, I want to start doing a bit more running again. I think I started off with too much enthusiasm. I haven't done any running the past three months. With doing Insanity and then Asylum, I didn't want to do high impact activity when I was at the gym, so I had been using the elliptical. On Saturday, I want running. I used this new app, Zombies, Run!, that I got for my iPhone. Using headphones, the app lets you play out an immersive game. It's the zombie apocalyptic and you have to help save yourself (and the day!) by running and collecting supplies. Fun times. However, in an effort to elude the zombie hordes, I think I ran to hard and far (three miles or so) for my first time out in a while, and my quads have been killing me. Hence, I've been taking it easy for the past few days. I'll be back in the exercise saddle soon though!

I've also been working on knitting the shawl that Seth bought me the materials for for Valentine's Day. It's around a third done.



The simple lace pattern naturally biases into a parallelogram. I'm going to need to block it when I'm done to clean up the edges and open up the lace-work. I'm thinking of trying to block by ironing instead of doing a full wet block, but I'm not sure how it will all work. I am a super inexperienced blocker, so this will be a good time to learn a new skill.


This past weekend, I traveled to Connecticut for Passover. My nephew is getting to be quite the gentleman dog. He's not a puppy anymore! So handsome.


It was also great to see Greg while I was home as he just got back from a trip to Scotland for his girlfriend Grace's sister's wedding. He got me this super cute bag from Scotland for a birthday gift.


Apparently the company that made it, Ness, is the Coach of Scotland. The bag I got is a change purse and super cute! I love it. 

After the visit with family on Saturday, I returned late to an adventure in the basement. Apparently, our water heater had decided that the end to its long lift has finally come. While we were lucky and the tank didn't rupture, we were left with a bunch of water on the floor that ran out of the overflow valve. We cleaned up with towels and ran the dehumidifier. We then took cold showers.

Now, three days and many sponge baths from stove heater water later, a new water heater is getting installed in the basement. While I am totally bummed at the prospect of spending around $1,700 on a new gas water heater, labor, and the cost to bring our water heater up to code, I am so looking forward to not having to wash my hair in a pot that I think it will be worth it. Plus, it's not like this was totally unexpected -- we knew we had around two to five years max on the water heater when we moved it. 

Based on our usage, research, and talking with the plumber, we're installing another standard gas tank which will be most cost effective with upfront cost and over the long haul. I'm looking forward to resuming my normal hot water usage in the next hour or so!

No comments: