Friday, October 7, 2011

The new stove is (not) installed

It's the day that all the residents of 24 Webster Court (minus Lily, perhaps) have been waiting for. The day of the stove install! Things did not go to plan.


As you can see, the good news is that the stove and bluestone are here and in the house.


Both look quite nice. As you can see, the majolica brown enamel looks just as good against the brick as we anticipated. 


However, the arrival of the stove (and the delivery of our pellets) was all that got accomplished today. As you can see in the pictures, there is no pipe coming out of the stove. Why? Here is the story.


When Chad, our contact at the Amherst Farmers Supply (finally) came to our house to review the install for the stove, I asked if we could have the venting pipe for the stove, which would pass through the living room ceiling, the bedroom, and the roof, painted white. The pipe is otherwise silver and would be an eyesore. Getting it painted white would allow it to blend into the white walls of our house. Chad assured me that this was possible as there is high temperature paint. 


When the pellets were not delivered two weeks ago due to rain, I called Chad to set the new date and also confirmed the aspects for the stove install. Apparently, he did not write down about the painting of the vent pipe on my record either because when the gentleman came to install the stove today and I asked about the paint, he was surprised.

They brought in the stove and stone and laid it down, but the parts of the pipe need to be painted before the installation and there was no way they could get the paint today despite their best efforts. As a result, they were gone by 9:30 a.m. and will have to return on Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. to finish the install, which should take three hours or so.

Needless to say, I am in a word, livid, but I want the pipe painted and will not compromise. At least the stove is here and the pellets. I will hold off on opening my celebratory bottle of prosecco until everything is done on Wednesday. I can only hope that Wednesday will be the end of this six month process.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It's gorgeous! Whenever you talked about it, I imagined that it would be all black without any details. Probably because that was how the one in my house looked. Don't worry. Haven't you been dealing with this for like a year now? What's another few days...

Oh, and also I'm going to Sarah's on Sunday also. See you soon!