Sunday, June 13, 2010

Roller Derby

Last night, Seth, Patrick, and I journey to Holyoke to see our first Roller Derby bout. We went to see the Pioneer Valley Roller Derby teams, a (traditional) women's team and also a men's team (the first, according to the website).


I greatly enjoyed watching the team's compete. The two western Massachusetts teams were skating against teams from central Massachusetts. The western Massachusetts teams were much more experienced and it was clear right away that they were going to skate circles around the other teams. I took the time to just enjoy trying to figure out the details of the sport. Below is a video of the women. (The men were rather a bit more violent and scared me a little.)

video

All in all, it was a very interesting sport to watch. I like the skating aspect of it a lot (and further considering if I enjoy that it's full contact). Fun times -- perhaps we'll go back and see more and get a better idea of the sport next time.

No comments: