Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Saga of the Cable is Complete

It appears that the saga of the cable is complete. As many of you know, about three weeks ago our internet started acting up. When Comcast arrived, our cable line was frayed -- there was amperage being feed back along the cable line. We called Western Massachusetts Electric Company. They sent out a person who pulled out the meter and said, "Nothing is wrong here. It must be something in the house."

We called the electricians. The representative from the cable company had said that amperage feeding back into the house was very dangerous. It was also damaging the line and they would be turning off our cable (all dozen channels of it) and internet.

The electricians came the next day and stayed for about an hour and a half. They could find nothing wrong. We called Comcast back and when they came back, they found that there was still amperage on the cable line. We called the electricians back and still couldn't figure it out.

Day three: We had the electricians and Comcast come at the same time. At this point, we thought it might be a problem with the Comcast line. Turns out it was neither the electrical work in the house, which was fine as the electricians said all along, or the cable. It was WMECO's problem -- something they did not diagnose three days prior. (Note: To be honest, I was very glad it was not in the house. We moved in less than a year ago and the inspector looked at all the electrical and said it was fine. I would have been disappointed if there was something overlooked.)

Eventually, right before Thanksgiving, WMECO came out and ran a temporary line (all the electrical lines in Echo Hill are underground). This fixed the problem. They still have to come out an bury this electrical line, which is throughout the trees outside our row of condos.

Comcast came to look at the cable. The back-fed amperage had melted it completely.


At this point, we are in discussions with WMECO to get compensations to cover the $388 electrician bill that we incurred because the problem was not diagnosed as an external problem on day one. Seth talked with someone there today, who was very helpful and told us about the claims process WMECO has. We are going to have to fill out some paperwork and see if we get approved to get the money back. I should think that we should, but we'll have to see. At least we are done with having everyone running in and out of the house.

In unrelated news, the bridesmaids dresses are all picked out. Everyone decided on the dress I posted most recently -- the A-line with the pleating along the bosom. I think it should look very nice. Everyone is also getting the shoes I posted recently. I am thinking to getting them to go with my dress too, as I think they should look nice, although it's hard to tell having not seen my dress yet. (Note: I tried on the sample in a different color than the dress I am getting and they didn't have a large enough swatch to really tell what the actual dress will look like, although I am sure it will be lovely.) Next up is working on the invites, which Seth will design and deciding on the cake. Keep checking things off the list!

2 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

I am glad it is fixed now. hopefully, you'll get your reimbursement ASAP and get the wires buried.

Let us know if you need help with your Comcast. We'll help.

Mark Casem
Comcast Customer Connect
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Nicole said...

Thanks so much, Mark! I have to say that Don, the person from Comcast who help us with our difficulties, was amazing. The poor man had to come to our house so many times, and he was always a big help. He should be commended.