Saturday, November 7, 2009

Writing This from My New Netbook

I am writing this post from my new netbook, an ASUS Eee 1005HA with Windows 7 Starter. I got it last night, and have been looking forward to doing some typing with it, as I want to see how the keyboard it. So far, seems good, though I definitely notice that it's only 92% size. Not a bother though, considering I am petite too. The netbook and I are on the same page with that.

So far, I have been very pleased. The netbook does just what I expected it to do well well. It is lightening fast on the internet. If one only has a couple of programs open, it's speedy as can be. It seems to go as fast as my approximately one-year-old Dell PC at work, which is great. I did optimize the netbook a little bit, taking items off the start up and that really seemed to help.

The computer boots in about 45 seconds which is great. The only annoying this is how long it takes to open and delete programs in the control panel. It's then that one remembers that one is only using one gig of ram, but I couldn't care less about this. I probably won't open the control panel again for a long while - I'll just be checking my e-mail and using the web. The netbook does both of those things way faster than the poor old IBM, which, as I have said, I still love dearly.

Windows 7 took a bit of initial getting used to. At first I couldn't figure out where you did run commands or where things were located on the control panel - but it's basically your same Windows. I am not, in general, a Windows hater. I thought XP was perfect for my needs and like 95 fine before that. I anticipate a similar experience with Windows 7. Yes, I know that my netbook would go much faster with Linux, but I am used to Windows and that makes me happy. Plus, I think that the aero is nice. Yes, it slows down the works a bit, but not for the basics, so no problem.

Perhaps you have heard how Windows 7 Starter doesn't let you change the wallpaper on your computer. This is true, and totally crazy - the people at Microsoft and I are not of one mind on this. Fortunately, the people at ASUS think that this is crazy too and make a system tool that allows you to change your wallpaper to whatever you want. Now I am happy to have my picture of Lily as my wallpaper.

The netbook advertises that it has 10.5 hours of battery life. I am sure that this is true if you completely compromise system performance, don't run aero, et cetera. If you don't do any customizing to optimize battery life - as I have done - they you get just under seven hours, which is way more battery than most people would need most of the time. I am very glad to have a computer with a new battery. The IBM, which used to have awesome battery life for its day, now can only go half an hour ultimate max without being plugged in. Additionally, the battery monitor is totally faulty and thinks the computer is without battery after fifteen minutes and then it's a gamble from there if the computer will keep going or not.

In sum, so far, so good. I am enjoying my little netbook.

No comments: