Sunday, October 14, 2007

Volkie's Saga

On I-84, right before exit 32, Volkie, my VW Beetle, suffered a malfunction. Thursday night, I was traveling home to visit with my father and spend my mother's birthday with my Mom. I was cruising along at a speed that would get me home expeditiously without violating traffic law. I was happily listening to an audio book, Rise and Shine (rather vapid but entertaining), when the temperature gauge on the Volkie's control panel turned red. This alone would have been alarming enough - red being an alarming color - and would have prompted me to stop. That being said, the car's manufacturer disagreed. Volkie began beeping loudly. A loud beep is rather unnerving and, in conjunction with a red light, more alarming than I feel necessary, especially considering how alarming car difficulties are by nature.

I digress.

Needless to say, Volkie had to be taken off the highway, and AAA had to be called. Volkie was towed to Plainville, Connecticut. (Who has ever heard of Plainville? Although according to the town's website it is "the geographic center and crossroads of Connecticut." Clearly not for me.)

Just shy of $700 later and outfitted with a new water pump, thermostat, and timing belt - the latter of which I was going to have replaced at a slightly later date - Volkie is back on the go.

No comments: