Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Other Plans I Made

I never would have thought, stepping foot on the UMass campus, a young girl from a small town overwhelmed by magnitude, that this is how things would end up - that a place that I had thought of with a certain disregard would one day become thought of with pride as a home.

One day, turning my car towards the Central living area, held rapt by the massive buildings, all viable from University Drive,it hit me with such force as to almost make me cry that this place, this mega-university was a place I loved greatly, a place I would miss.

___

I never would have thought, coming to UMass with notions of a degree in astronomy, that I would end up graduating with a B.A. in English and a desire to work in Advancement. I could have imagined graduate school in astronomy at an East-coast school with stone buildings. (In my youth, every college was to me Yale.) I could have even imagined, late, and if I stretched myself, working in publishing because I was (and am) a lover of books (literature) and creating the written word.

___

I did not imagine, when I first descended the unkempt steps towards the basement of Memorial Hall to begin my job as a caller at the Annual Fund located there, that I would in the course of this one job fine a career and a sort of extended family in the staff of the Annual Fund, people that even now I am loath to leave.

___

Cliché as the phrase now is, John Lennon was right: Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

No comments: