Thursday, February 22, 2007

3rd person omniscient.

I am working on my story The Strand. Since doing that POV exercise, based on the story, I have decided to re-work the entire story in 3rd person omniscient. This is partially a technical exercise and partially a result a feedback I got from my E355 class and teacher.

I am also reading the recommended Mrs. Dalloway, a beautifully rendered 3rd person omniscient work. The things Virginia Wolff can do with language. Reminds me of Michael Cunningham's The Hours, which I adore, and, of all things, Sylvia Plath - connection = mental illness (specifically depression in very talented writers).

Also, I am thinking about minimalism, still. A result of the Amy Hempel workshop at the Juniper Summer Writing Institute. I love when writer teachers advise you to try everything and say that you are young. I feel that youth, which I obviously have in bounds, is such a lucky thing when it comes to education because if affords some much room for experimentation. I'll be honest, after the Hempel workshop I had a crisis of faith in writing, as I am not a minimalist, but also had a try at a Mary Robison Why Did I Ever style work, technically still in progress. Oh, minimalism, and, so, of course, Gordon Lish.

I'll post a newly rendered version of The Strand when it's ready. I am also going to expand it, probably also in the third person omniscient. It's easier to cut than to add, as they always say. I think I am going to write for before the story more than after it, but perhaps I'll do both. I have to see...

1 comment:

Madison said...

As someone who has Plath tattooed on my body for the rest of my life, I can really appreciate your connection. Also, Cunningham's The Hours is based on Mrs. Dalloway -- three lives revolving around the same story. A great book, and a really well-made movie with a soundtrack by Phillip Glass that is to die for.

Have you ever read any other Cunningham? Home at the End of the World is a great novel. A terrible movie, but a great novel. I suggest a reading before a (cringeworthy) viewing.

I think women/mental illness in literature is a funny thing. On one hand, I resent it because it emphasizes the hystericalization of women, the mad-woman motif and that all women are CRAYZEE! See my rant on Notes on a Scandal. But on the other hand, I think it gives a really great insight as to what happens to women with no formidable outlet and poor medical specialization on behalf of their doctors.

I love me some Cunningham. I really do.